Planning to pursue a career in massage therapy? Let’s discover what job opportunities are waiting for you and understand the earning potential of a massage therapist.
Massage therapists have now become an integral part of the healthcare system almost everywhere in the world. With health care professionals recognizing the therapeutic benefits of massage, the job opportunities for working as a massage therapist is expected to hit an all-time high in the next few decades.
In current times, where job and employment stability are becoming increasingly uncertain, one thing remains true—people will always be in need of relaxation and tension relief. Massage therapy is therefore a recession-proof career and is a great choice for those looking for a new career helping others.
According to a recent study from Quebec’s national public health institute, the number of obesity cases in Quebec has doubled in the last 30 years. Being overweight is a common cause of back pain. With an increase in the rate of obesity, overweight individuals are likely to seek out massage therapy sessions to relive back tension.
Additionally, as more individuals start working from home on their computers, the sedentary lifestyle will result in back and neck pain due to prolonged inactivity. These individuals often call upon massage therapists to relieve their tension.
If you are considering a career in massage therapy, you must be wondering how massage therapists are paid, what is their average income, and what jobs are in store for them. In this article, we will cover everything from an average massage therapist’s income to possible job opportunities.
How much can you earn as a massage therapist in Canada?
With professional massage training and the acquisition of a massage therapy certification, you can earn as much as $79,000, annually. While the salaries of massage therapists usually vary based on job type and where you are working, Indeed.com has dropped some averages. As per the data found on Indeed, the average base salary of a massage professional working in Montreal is approximately $42.63 per hour.
Most massage therapists work on an hourly basis. So, if we look at the above statistics, licensed massage therapists working at least 5 hours a day will earn approximately $4,000 per month in Montreal.
Experts have also predicted a fast and remarkable growth for the industry. Statistics show that more than 23,000 new job opportunities will pop into the market over the next few years. If these numbers are proven correct, those working in the field will enjoy great earning opportunities and higher job prospects. So, if you are thinking about joining a massage therapy school to embark on a new career path, now is the good time to do it!
What kind of jobs can you do as a massage therapist?
After you complete your training at a recognized massage academy, you will have an abundance of career options available to you. Most massage training programs are designed to equip you with all the tools you need to set your foot in the workforce as quickly as possible. Here are a few career options you can explore once you have graduated from massage therapy school.
- Working at a Day Spa. This is the most sought-after and high-paying career option for massage therapists. It is not uncommon for massage therapists to work for several spas, accumulating a large enough client base throughout the week to make a comfortable living. There is always a demand for new massage therapists as spas and chiropractic offices are constantly being booked and often need more therapists to fill in the growing demand for massage therapy sessions.
- Becoming a sports massage therapist. Helping athletes maintain their peak performance is the most exciting thing you can do. As a sports therapist, you will work at a sports event helping athletes prepare for their events as well as treating certain conditions that may arise during the sport such as cramps, sprains, and more.
- Working from home. You can build your own massage therapy setup at home. Many massage therapists repurpose a spare room in their homes to use as their spa or clinic. This is a great option to minimize costs and optimize net revenue as a massage therapist.
- Opening a spa. As a massage therapist, you can choose to open your own spa. Many massage therapists rent out office space to use as their spa. It is not uncommon for massage therapists to team up together to buy or rent a commercial property to convert into a day spa.
- Giving mobile massage therapy. Many professionals are now providing massage services on the go. It’s a very challenging but exciting work environment. With many employees opting to work from home since the pandemic, the demand for in-home massages is growing.
- Working on a cruise ship. Most cruise ships offer in-house massage services to travelers. If you have sufficient training and love to travel, this is a career option you must consider.
The above list is just some of the top career options you can consider as a massage therapist. Once you complete your massage therapy training and become certified, there is a whole wide world out there for you. Explore new options, carve new niches, and redesign this field in whatever way you want.
With the increase in demand for massage therapists, you will be very sought after as you grow your list of certifications and develop your reputation. Massage therapy is becoming more popular not only as a luxurious treat but also as a way to relieve muscular tension, and mental stress and to improve quality of life.
Massage therapy is a fulfilling and lucrative career choice. The ability to help others through different types of massages is truly rewarding!
In order to reap all of these benefits, you must enroll in a highly professional institution that will assist you in establishing a positive reputation in the industry. Here at IKRA Academy of Massage Therapy, we believe in a comprehensive approach that enables students to learn, grow and discover in a positive and friendly atmosphere. Check out our amazing massage programs. Good Luck!
If you are still weighing out the pros and cons of signing up for massage therapy training courses, read about it here: https://ikramassage.com/en/why-get-started-in-massage-therapy/